So you are going on a holiday somewhere new and exciting and you want to look lovely while you are there? Bringing along a few pieces of your favourite jewellery means that you can dress up when you go out for dinner or drinks at your destination.
Of course, you don’t want to bring along your most expensive jewellery that should be left safely at home. However, you might want to bring along a few items just to dress up your travel wardrobe.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when it comes to travelling with your jewellery:
- Stick with simple, neutral pieces that pair well with many different types of clothing, such as stud earrings, small hoop earrings, silver charm bracelets, small pendants and simple rings. You can wear them with multiple outfits and get the most out of them.
- Make sure that you bring along jewellery that matches with other jewellery pieces that you have brought along. For example, if you have brought along a pair of earrings that don’t have a matching necklace to wear with them, you might be less likely to wear them during your trip.
- However, you should throw in a couple of unique and whimsical “statement pieces” that are a little bit more unusual and bold. They will spice up your basic travel outfits.
- Consider investing in a jewellery case if you travel frequently. It doesn’t have to be too expensive, but it should have different compartments for keeping your individual jewellery items organised and stop your necklaces for tangling together.
- A clever solution for keeping your necklace chains from tangling is to slip one end of the chain through a drinking straw, then closing the clasp. This will take up slightly more room, but you will never have to struggle with tangled necklaces again.
- Another smart idea is to use those pill boxes that are used to manage weekly pill doses. Each of the small compartments are the right size for storing individual earrings and smaller bracelets and necklaces.
- You can also use the small sealable plastic bags that you sometimes get when you buy inexpensive jewellery or beads. Put each piece of jewellery in its own bag and then place all of the small plastic bags into a larger zip lock bag.
- Here’s a very innovative tip for travelling with jewellery – use buttons to keep pairs of earrings together. Insert each earring into one of the button holes and close them at the back. There’s nothing worse than losing one earring, so this clever idea helps you to avoid doing so!
- Don’t bring jewellery that is very expensive or flashy. You will run the risk of losing it and by wearing it you will make yourself a target for muggings while you are travelling. Also, you want to be able to relax and enjoy your travels without worrying about losing your jewellery. Besides, simple bohemian jewellery fits better with the traveller style!
- Avoid storing soft metals such as gold in the same place as jewellery with sharp edges or hard gemstones. The other jewellery could scratch or damage your gold.
- When you are in the hotel it is a good idea to keep your jewellery in the hotel safe when you are not using it. If you are in a hostel make sure that your jewellery is locked away in your locker rather than in your bag.
- You might want to bring your jewellery with you in your carry-on luggage rather than your checked bags. Sometimes checked bags can be lost by the airline and you don’t want your jewellery to go missing.
- If you are travelling to a hot climate where there will be a lot of sunshine, take care of your jewellery and avoid wearing gemstones such as amethyst, pearls, amber and ivory. The sun can fade their colour or cause them to crack. Also sun cream, salt water and chlorine from the hotel pool will damage most types of jewellery. It is best to wear no jewellery while you are sunbathing or swimming.
Travelling with jewellery is great because this travel accessory doesn’t take up a lot of room in your suitcase and brings your outfits to life. Keep these tips in mind when you are travelling with jewellery so that you can make sure that your precious jewels are kept in good condition while you explore the world!